Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Notes on Hamlet

            Upon learning that we were about to begin Shakespeare’s Hamlet I was not at all excited or motivated to read it. Though I can hardly say that I get excited to read each assigned portion, I no longer dread reading Shakespeare. After learning different ways to augment my understanding of the text I have actually began to enjoy Hamlet.
            With this new understanding of the text I have learned a lot about the characters, particularly Prince Hamlet. I went into the play with the preconception that Hamlet was crazy and emotionally unstable. After studying the plot events and Hamlet’s soliloquies I have learned that he is in fact very thoughtful and methodical.
            As for the remainder of the play, I predict that Hamlet will pull even more ploys to ensure that he is ready to take the revenge. He is constantly rethinking and reanalyzing his actions, the repercussions of his actions, and even the consequences of those repercussions. This behavior will likely extend throughout the play, forcing Hamlet to spend tons of thought on each of his decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment